WA-BLOC (launched in 2016) is a majority Black women-led grassroots organization based in southeast Seattle with a mission to build and nurture intergenerational leaders through transformative education and revolutionary social action. Its programming is designed to build strong, literate, and empowered scholars prepared to make a difference in themselves, their families, communities, nation and world. Partnering with local public schools, community partners, students and families, to create a collective vision for equitable education that is culturally responsive, trauma-informed and restorative. Learn more about our programming here.
WA-BLOC’s Mission: To build and nurture intergenerational leaders through transformative education and revolutionary social action.
WA-BLOC’s Vision: Our vision is for South Seattle to be an epicenter where Black and brown folx thrive. We achieve this vision through year-round educational programming that re-engages students in school, dismantles systemic racism, and disrupts the school to prison pipeline for Black and brown youth in South Seattle.
About the Opportunity
Background: WA-BLOC would like to work with a web designer and web developer to redesign our current website. The current website was built using Webflow (March 2021). While the present functionality and user experience is good, its interested in a more appealing and aesthetic design that “feels” like the organization and to develop more front-end components that allow new organizational content to be shared (like blog posts, educator resource portal etc). There is a basic style guide (attached) that can be used as a starting point for the designer and developer.
Approach: Review the current website with WA-BLOC team and facilitate a creative re-design process to get input from the team about aesthetic design and developer improvements. Develop an updated style guide and wireframes for a web developer.
For Web developer: Collaborate with a web designer to build updated website using Webflow and ensure the website looks good and functions properly.
Skillset/Experience Needed From Volunteer:
- Conceptualizing creative ideas with WA-BLOC team.
- Experience researching and testing usability of front-end web applications to inform the design of a website
- Designing visual imagery for websites and ensuring that they are in line with WA-BLOC style guidelines.
- Communicating design ideas using user flows, process flows, site maps, and wireframes.
- Incorporating functionalities and features into websites.
- Proficiency in graphic design software, including Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and other visual design tools.
- Good understanding of content management systems (Webflow)
- Excellent visual design skills.
- Creative and open to new ideas.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Alignment with values of WA-BLOC and interest in the intersection of education and social justice
- Experience developing using Webflow
- Proven working experience in web programming
- Programming skills and in-depth knowledge of modern HTML/CSS
- Problem diagnosis and creative problem solving skills
Time Commitment (estimated and flexible): Approximately 3 months
- Redesigned website that reflects general best practices while expressing a unique WA-BLOC voice
- Skill transfer to staff to enable ongoing maintenance and updates
Please contact Heatherh@svpseattle.org for more information or to apply.